The preferred format for receipt of print advertising files is PDF-X/1-a.
The following software programs are supported:
• Adobe InDesign
• Adobe Photoshop (saved as an EPS or TIFF)
• Adobe Illustrator
Any other applications are unacceptable.
• Supply all printer and screen fonts, including fonts embedded in art files.
• Pseudo-type commands should not be used (i.e., if italics are desired,
then the italic version of the font should be used, not the italic style).
• Scanned images must be saved as TIFF or EPS.
• Line art should be scanned at 900 dpi and saved as TIFF. Be sure not to
scan line art as halftone. (In Photoshop, use the “Bitmap” mode.)
• Black and white photos should be scanned at 300 dpi as grayscale. Ideally
the shadow dot should not exceed 91; any dot under 4% will drop to white.
• 4/c images should be scanned at 300 dpi and converted to CMYK (not
left as RGB), with an ink limit of 280%. The high-res image should be
imported directly into the document.
• Trim Size: 8. 5”w x 11”h
• Bleed Size: 8.625”w x 11.125”h• Inks: 4/c process
• Binding: Saddle-stitched
• If the ad contains transparencies, be sure to set the transparency
flattener presets to high resolution before you create the PDF-X/1-a.
8.625”w x 11.125”h
8. 5”w x 11”h
Please send your materials to Melissa Dahne, Director of
Publications, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via CD to:
1875 Connecticut Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20009